Skip to main content

A Court Of Wings And Ruin (ACOTAR Book 3) Review

Hey ForeverBookers, 

How are you all doing today? It’s been a nice sunny day where I am. A little on the chilly side still, though. 

I’ve just finished A Court Of Wings And Ruin or ACOWAR as it’s maybe better known by Sarah J Maas and it’s made it to my Number 1 read of 2018 so far, just as ACOMAF, A Court Of Mist and Fury made it to my Number 1 read of 2016. I chose to read it now for a number of reasons. The main one being the fact that A Court Of Frost And Starlight (ACOFAS) has just released, which I preordered last week. It’ll hopefully get here before the weekend...PLEASE...and ACOWAR also goes towards several readathons that I’m taking part in at the moment as well. 

* The Fae Readathon hosted by a Facebook friend where you have prompts to read Fae related books. I read ACOWAR for the book that came out before 2018 challenge - https://www.facebook.com/events/174558623203831/


* Popsugar Challenge - “The Next Book In A Series You’ve Started”, as it’s the third book in the ACOTAR series.

* Book Bingo on Facebook - A fun Bingo event that started May 1st 2018. I read ACOWAR for the 3rd book in a trilogy prompt, as the ACOWAR wraps up Feyre and Rhys’ storyline (apart from ACOFAS, the novella), https://www.facebook.com/events/1442935242483308/

ACOWAR is told in three parts that charter Feyre’s progression throughout the novel. It’s where she starts to where she ends up. We see some chapters from Rhys’s perspective, too. It was nice to see his thoughts a little throughout.

There are some parts to ACOWAR that are a bit raunchy and some parts that are a little bit scary for younger readers, I’d say so +16 and above is the right age to read this.

SPOILERS BELOW

A Court Of Wings And Ruin starts immediately after A Court Of Mist And Fury finishes. Feyre is back at the Spring Court with Tamlin. She can only communicate to Rhys through their mating bond.

“I did not dare risk using the bond too often. I had communicated with Rhysand only once since I’d arrived...I am safe and well” 

This is significant to note because Feyre doesn’t want Tamlin to find out that she can still contact Rhys. She, of course however, wants to let Rhys know that she’s alive so that he doesn’t worry too much about her. 

Feyre needs to make Tamlin believe that she truly loves him and no else so that when the Spring Court start to turn on each other, no one suspects it’s Feyre that’s put the wheels in motion.

Ianthe is still a horrible character who just cares about what she wants. She’s always been jealous of Tamlin’s feelings for Feyre. “No. When Calanmai came along, he refused.” Lucien tells Feyre of how Tamlin wouldn’t have sex with Ianthe because he was so say getting over Feyre. He also tells her about how he had to replace Tamlin in the Rite. Ianthe doesn’t care for those around her. 

I found all of Feyre and Rhys’s exchanges to be really sweet.

“The longest day of the year, I said into the bond, sending along flickers of all that had occurred atop that hill. I wish I could spend it with you” and “It’d be an honour, he said, laughter in every word, to spend even a moment in the company of Feyre Caldron-blessed.”

It’s significant to note how important they both are to each other. After reading ACOMAF, which you should DEFINITELY do before picking up ACOWAR, it’s easy to see how much Feyre and Rhys love and want the best for each other. 

Tamlin was very angry when Feyre was taken. He trashed her room at the Spring Court as well as killing his own sentries. 

“I tried. I begged him for mercy. He didn’t listen. He couldn’t listen”

is what Lucien, Tamlin’s second in command tells Feyre of his leaders behaviour when she left him. I found this to fit with Tamlin’s behaviour at the beginning of ACOMAF when he orders Feyre to stay at the Spring Court, and then indeed locks her in. He is a control freak. I wasn’t sure about Rhys in book 1 and his intentions towards Feyre but in seeing how Tamlin reacted to Feyre’s escape in book 2, I hated him from then on. Does he get any redemption in ACOWAR? You’ll have to read to find out...

Lucien sticks up for Feyre, throughout the first part of A Court Of Wings And Ruin. He’s the only real friend that she has at the Spring Court. Lucien has seen what’s happened, when Tamlin hasn’t so he tells Tamlin what really happened. Tamlin however, doesn’t believe Lucien. He believe’s Ianthe’s lies instead. “How Tamlin listened to her without question—to a fault.” This confirms that Tamlin is more interested in pretty girls than the welfare of his own court.

 “But I’d remained at the barracks, tending to the groaning sentry, drawing away bloodied bowls of water while the healer quietly patched him up.”

This perfectly describes the difference between Feyre and Ianthe. Ianthe can’t be bothered with anyone else. She holds herself as most important, whereas Feyre cares for and helps those around her.

When Feyre says,“I know the feeling”, to Alis, her old maid at the Spring Court, she means that she’s missing the Night Court, all her friends and her true love. She knows she doesn’t belong at the Spring Court. Alis doesn’t really have a role in ACOWAR. We don’t see her after this point. 

I don’t really want to spoil anything else, beyond this point but ACOWAR really is a fantastic book filled with love, laughter, betrayal, loss, battles and even more! I highly recommend it, after reading ACOTAR and ACOMAF, of course! ACOWAR ultimately involves war. But who wins? You’ll have to read to find out...

What did I like about A Court Of Wings And Ruin?

I loved the romance! It’s very clear that Feyre and Rhys love each other, wholeheartedly. They have a lovely camaraderie as well. 

I loved how every main character got their time to shine. The book is told in Feyre’s perspective mainly but we see how the effect of the events wares on all the characters. 

I thought that the author did a great job of writing the emotional scenes. I almost cried at one point towards the end. 

What didn’t I like about A Court Of Wings And Ruin? 

I didn’t so much like the political thread that ran throughout the second and third sections. But it was interwoven with the romance and comedy so it wasn’t all at once. 

Overall, ACOWAR was amazing! I loved how the characters strived and worked together for a better life. That’s why I’m rating it 5 Stars! 


I look forward to picking up A Court Of Frost And Starlight really soon, so stand by for my review of that! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g