Skip to main content

Always Red (Red #2) by Isabelle Ronin Review

Hi ForeverBookers,

I’ve just finished a great finale to a duology. Always Red is the sequel, and finale to Chasing Red, which I reviewed earlier on this year. I can say that Always Red was just as good as Chasing Red. This duology is a character driven story, I’d say, as most contemporaries are. 

Always Red concludes the story of Veronica and Caleb. From Chasing Red, we know that Veronica hasn’t had much of a life as she lost her mom when she was really young. Caleb saved her, in so many words, from a life on the streets when they were both in a club one night in book 1. Do they continue to better their lives in Always Red? You’ll have to read it to find out... 

5 Stars...

NOTE: As this is a New Adult duology only readers that are 16+ should read it, as it’s got a storyline that mentions drugs and has some sexually explicit scenes. There’s also a mentally unstable character and a gun scene. 

Spoilers Below...

“There was a charge in the air, when he was in a room, and I always felt it. But this time I didn’t feel his presence. I felt nothing, just emptiness” 

This is what Veronica is feeling when she and Caleb are separated at the beginning of the book. Beatrice Rose, Caleb’s old friend put them in this situation in Chasing Red. Beatrice Rose is the evil mastermind in this duology. She’s a really selfish character who doesn’t care about who she hurts as long as she gets Caleb to herself. 

This is seen further in, “Frankly, I’m the one getting sick of you and your accusations. You’re imagining things. I am trying to be patient and understanding with you, Veronica, but you make it so hard. And now you’re accusing me of what? Stealing?”

Here, Beatrice Rose is making out that Veronica is wrong and that she’d never steal or do anything to hurt her. She’s talking down to her as well, so it’s as if Veronica is at fault. The Beatrice Rose drama comes to a head at the end of Always Red, and I don’t want to spoil it here, but it’s good. 

Caleb also hates what Beatrice Rose is doing to Veronica. “But the thought of Beatrice Rose spreading lies about Red made me want to hit something” tells us this because he just wants Veronica to be happy. He doesn’t want any of this drama or angst. The use of italics tells us he’s really annoyed by Beatrice Rose’s actions.

Veronica still has her friends to help her when Beatrice Rose annoys her, though.   

“Yet I felt a flutter in my stomach at the thought of carrying Caleb’s child one day”

Veronica is talking about her future with Caleb with her best friend, Kara. Veronica feels that she can discuss everything with Kara.
There’s also jealousy from Caleb when he sees Damon with Veronica. When Caleb asks Kara, “Does Damon know that she’s mine?” we see the jealous side of Caleb come out. In Chasing Red, we see Damon as potential competition for Caleb to contend with. 

“It’s not mine Damon. I don’t know why it’s there. I...Beatrice Rose probably planted it there. I’m going to kill her!”

is when Damon helps Veronica see sense when she’s found at Caleb’s birthday party with drugs. 

Always Red is also about learning how to trust. Caleb wants to be able to trust Veronica to always tell the truth. 

“Trust is very important to me. My parents didn’t have enough of it to make their relationship work. I didn’t want that for us”

 This tells us that Caleb needs to learn to trust in the person that he loves. Otherwise their relationship won’t work, like his parents’ didn’t. 

“Some day I’ll have my own cafe, just like this” tells us that Veronica has her own dreams and aspirations. She doesn’t just want to live off of Caleb and his funds forever. She wants to help create their life together. 

I’m not going to write any more plot points because I don’t want to spoil anymore of it but there are a few significant events that build up to a worthwhile ending. 

What did I like about Always Red? 

I liked how the story continued straight on from book 1. There’s no gap, where we’re left wondering what happened. 

I liked how the characters were the main point of Always Red. The plot came secondary.

I liked how mental health was brought into Always Red a little bit. 

What didn’t I like about Always Red? 

I didn’t like how there was only one main villain. I thought the story could have been fleshed out more if there had been another evil character. 

Overall then, I really enjoyed reading this duology. I thought the story could have perhaps been lengthened to see what Veronica and Caleb would be like as parents but that’s more a critique of the duology rather than just this story. I therefore give Always Red, 5 Stars.

Did you enjoy Chasing Red, if you’ve read it? Will you be reading Always Red? Let me know what you thought/think of them below..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g