Skip to main content

Misadventures Of A City Girl by Meredith Wilde and Chelle Bliss Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I've read my sixth book for the booktubathon! It was Misadventures Of A City Girl by Meredith Wilde and Chelle Bliss and it was so good! 

NOTE: If you don't like highly sexual books then I'd stay away from this one. Also, some might class it as kind of instalovey but I didn't think it was. There's a PTSD thread running throughout it as well. 

Misadventures Of A City Girl tells the story of Madison or Maddy, who after she's broken up with her husband goes to a mountainside retreat for a little while. What she doesn't know before she gets there, however is Luke, a rugged caveman type of man lives up on the mountain in a shack. Maddy and Luke have some adventures together both in and out of bed. 

Spoilers Below...

Madison is a new divorcee at the beginning of Misadventures Of A City Girl . She wants to go away to Avalon, a mountain retreat for some time to herself.

"I don't want to be converted. I just need some quiet time, maybe a few massages and some fresh mountain air"

tells us that she doesn't want to become a mountain girl. "These are not my people" further demonstrates this. She still wants to be the city girl that the title of the book says she is, she just wants some time away to rest and recuperate.  

The first look Luke, the caveman, as Maddy sometimes calls him, gets of Maddy is when she goes for a naked swim in the lake. He's taken with her then but later when she turns up at his shack later she gets a little more than she bargained for when he tells her 

"I wanted you last night when you were spread out on that rock",

along with other, more heated confessions too. This is where we first see their sexual escapades take place. These escapades are literally in every chapter of this book so if you don't like highly sexual novels, I wouldn't recommend this. I don't mind reading sex scenes but as I said the main characters had a LOT of sex so it was kind of tiresome by the end. The book describes every little bit of these encounters too. It doesn't just breeze over them.

"All I could think about was him. The sexy stranger who came out of nowhere and, although he'd watched me, hadn't wanted to engage" 

is what Maddy says before her and Luke's first sexual encounter so she's even thinking about sex without doing it. 

"I'm better off alone. I prefer the peacefulness of my mountain"

is what Luke thinks in one of his parts before the first sex act but, boy does this change as the novel progresses.

"I'd sworn to serve and protect. Not attack and scare".

Luke is an ex army SEAL. He couldn't deal with the pressure of being in the army so he left to save himself. Here, he's saying he doesn't want to scare Madison off. He just wants to get to know her. He lives on the mountain because he doesn't want his experiences as a soldier to run into his life. When he's on his own, this doesn't happen. 

Later in the book, Maddy takes Luke out to dinner in a downtown restaurant to try and help him get over his PTSD. This fails as they get into an argument with the serving staff there. However, it does make Luke see that he needs to be the one to make the first move in getting over what happened in his past. No one else is going to do it for him. I enjoyed reading about Luke's past and how his traumas still affect him now. 

Madison's ex husband comes into the story to tell her that his mother, who she considered her mother too is dying. We don't see any of Maddy's real family so when she goes to see Susan it's nice to see her treated as a daughter like figure. 

"My son still being an asshole?" is what Jeremy's mom says to her, meaning that she knows what Jeremy is like. She also tells Maddy to follow her own heart and not be pushed into anything by anyone. She wants Maddy to stand up for herself. 

"You mean nothing to him" is Madison's ex's way of trying to get in her head and warn her away from Luke. 

"His words are meant to sting, but they don't" 

shows that Maddy isn't at all bothered and that she knows Luke better than she ever knew Jeremy. 

What both Madison and Luke end up becoming is really sweet, I think. This novel proves that whatever the obstacle, whether it be an annoying ex, stress or just wanting space we should never let anything get in the way of what we really want out of life. That's why I'm giving Misadventures Of A City Girl 5 Stars! It wasn't groundbreaking literature by any means but it was really enjoyable to read. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Thorns And Roses (ACOTAR #1) by Sarah J Maas Review

  Hi ForeverBookers,   This review is coming a couple of days late because I’ve just had my COVID vaccine and I had to recover, anyway, I’ve just finished “A Court Of Thorns And Roses” or “ACOTAR” as it’s commonly referred to, by Sarah J Maas. It was a reread but I’m VERY glad that I did reread it. I’m going to try and reread all the books throughout this year to get ready for the now newly released “A Court Of Silver Flames,” which I’ll hopefully read at the beginning of next year (I already own it!) Anyway, I absolutely LOVED “ACOTAR” even more so, perhaps, than my other times reading it. I think it’s because I know what happens in the rest of the first trilogy. I already have reviews up for the other books, except, of course, “A Court Of Silver Flames.” I might redo or add to the “ A Court Of Mist And Fury” review. 5 Stars!  The readathons I read “ACOTAR” for were: The Cardcaptor-a-thon - The Light - Read a book with a light and/or bright cover - I class the red cove

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g