Skip to main content

How To Make A Wish by Ashley Herring Blake Review

Hey ForeverBookers,

I've just read this great contemporary, character driven story about a girl who falls for another girl. There's people of differing colours too as well as elements of child neglect so if you're at all sensitive either of these subjects, this book probably isn't for you. I'd say this book is for aged 14+ because of the slightly more adult subjects brought up. There's also a love scene, it's not described in great depth, but it's there. 

I read this for the LGBTQIA+ read of the Summer Reads challenge on Facebook as well as for NetGalley, who sent me an e-arc copy to read and review here so thanks to them for that! 

5 Stars! 

Grace is the main character of How To Make A Wish. We follow her POV. I enjoyed reading the book from her perspective, as I've never read an LGBTQIA+ book from first person POV before. It was good to read from the point of view of someone who was actually the lesbian/gay or bisexual in this case.  

Spoilers Below...

Grace's mother isn't really present as a mother. Maggie is more trying to be her best friend rather than her parent and she's okay with that. Grace however, is not. 

"I got tired of that script around the time I turned twelve and mom decided I was old enough to hear about her one night stands in between boyfriends, which wasn't really something that I Girl who hadn't even had her first period needed to know"

this is what Grace says to show how Maggie really just treats her as a best friend and not her daughter. This thread carries on throughout the novel. 

"I glance up, half hoping Mom is levelling me a worried look. She's not. She's buried in her phone slurp-slurping away"

is a further example of how Maggie doesn't seem to care about her daughter. However, Maggie does care about Eva so much so that she makes her a necklace that Grace wanted from her mother. 

"So making a necklace for zero profit—even if it is for her own daughter—isn't likely"
is what Grace says before Eva even comes into the story, so when this happens, 

"Yes, the necklace, I'm making it for Eva", Grace is upset that her mother is making a necklace for someone else for zero profit, even if it is to help Eva, a girl who has just lost her mother feel more at home. 

As I said above I read this book for the LGBTQIA+ part of the Summer Flings readathon on Facebook because Grace finds out she is bi. 

You know, I think there's a word for this...You're a baby bisexual" 

Her best friend, Luca tells her this. She starts feeling different feelings when Eva, a black girl who's just lost her mother moves in with Luca. In the past Grace felt this same way about a Natalie, a girl at swimming.

"my 14 year old self, instantly enamoured by this older girl. How I watched her. How I couldn't breath around her"

Grace and Eva go up to the lighthouse to hang out and exchange thoughts and secrets, like the one above. 

"I like that big world that Eva and I created at the lighthouse last night". 

They go to the lighthouse at night and open up to each other there. They tell each other their secrets and dreams. Grace wants to be a famous piano player and Eva wants to be a dancer. 

"Pianists are very important to dancers, you know"

this shows that Eva wants Grace to play for her. Eva is also trying to get Grace to admit how she feels about them as a couple. I thought the author did a good job in representing the LGBTQIA+ community. I'm a straight person but this novel has made me see how lesbians and gays struggle to see who they are sometimes, as people and find their place in the world. Grace is very unsure of just who she is and whether or not it's acceptable to be lesbian or bi. 

The last point I want to make is how the title "How To Make A Wish" plays into the story. Grace and her Mum make wishes on their fingers. Maggie has this obsession with purple coloured nail varnish. As Grace was growing up, her Mum would paint her nails different shades of purple and make a wish on each finger. 

"More than that she promised over and over again to drive me to New York". This trip to New York was the main wish. They both knew that Grace had a talent playing piano so Maggie has always promised her they'd go to New York so that she could audition for music school, there. But we've already established that Maggie is an unreliable mother so this doesn't work out for Grace. 

Also, when Grace comes out to Maggie as bi towards the end of the story Maggie, at first can't accept it. 

"Never has anything my mother has said been more on point than those three little words"

Grace's reaction to Maggie's "I don't understand" after she's just come out as bi shows just how frustrated she is by how much Maggie doesn't care for her to the same extent as others. Maggie is a single mum so this might be why?

Does Grace ever get to New York to realise her dreams? Does she fall in love and stay with Eva? You'll have to read to find out...

I really enjoyed "How To Make A Wish". I would recommend it to someone who wants a very character driven story or someone who wants an introduction into what being LGBTQIA+ is like. I'm giving the story 5 stars because there wasn't much else I was looking for in it. It did everything that I was expecting it to. 

Stand by for my next read coming soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Thorns And Roses (ACOTAR #1) by Sarah J Maas Review

  Hi ForeverBookers,   This review is coming a couple of days late because I’ve just had my COVID vaccine and I had to recover, anyway, I’ve just finished “A Court Of Thorns And Roses” or “ACOTAR” as it’s commonly referred to, by Sarah J Maas. It was a reread but I’m VERY glad that I did reread it. I’m going to try and reread all the books throughout this year to get ready for the now newly released “A Court Of Silver Flames,” which I’ll hopefully read at the beginning of next year (I already own it!) Anyway, I absolutely LOVED “ACOTAR” even more so, perhaps, than my other times reading it. I think it’s because I know what happens in the rest of the first trilogy. I already have reviews up for the other books, except, of course, “A Court Of Silver Flames.” I might redo or add to the “ A Court Of Mist And Fury” review. 5 Stars!  The readathons I read “ACOTAR” for were: The Cardcaptor-a-thon - The Light - Read a book with a light and/or bright cover - I class the red cove

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g