Skip to main content

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

How are you all today? I've just finished a great contemporary book!

4 Stars!

NOTE: There are scenes of abuse and bullying in Big Little Lies so if you're sensitive about either of those topics this book maybe isn't for you. 

Big Little Lies tells several stories at once. There's the story about the trivia night that runs throughout, the story of who one of the main character's father is, the story of an abuse victim, a story of a teenage girl putting her virginity up for sail in the internet and the main story for most of the book, little children lying about who bullied another child. All these stories were handled well. 

We see the characters, both major and minor be interviewed throughout because of the murder that happened on trivia night. I'll be honest in saying that at the beginning of the book I thought that another character had been killed so it was a surprise to read what actually had happened. 

Spoilers below...

The main characters are written well. Jane is very protective of her son, Ziggy so when she hears that he's hit another child she doesn't believe it. Another story that involves Ziggy is the reader finding out who his father is. This is probably where the title Big Little Lies stems from because although Ziggy himself never finds out in the novel because he's only 5 years old, we as the readers do after many lies, twists and turns. 

Celeste is the character that's being abused by her husband, Perry. She's written well, too. You can tell the author did her research about abuse victims, and what makes the abuser abuse in the first place.

Madeline is the character who's daughter is selling herself online to the highest bidder. This was interesting to read. Abigail only wants to support and raise awareness of children who do have to sell themselves for money. She's willing to do it, too. It's only when she receives an email from someone she doesn't know, telling her they'll pay a lot of money to her cause that she takes the auction down. It's said that Madeline and Abigail are as stubborn as each other. Madeline has split up with Abigail's father and is instead married to Ed. We see all of these characters sometimes struggle with life. Abigail wants to go and live with her father and his new wife at one point because she's sick of living with her mum.

The book, Big Little Lies is set in Australia because the author is Australian. I don't read many books that are set here, so it's nice to vary it up a little. I believe the TV show, Big Little Lies is however set in the USA. I plan on watching the show soon, now that I've read the book. 

What I liked about Big Little Lies...

I liked the amount of stories involved and how they each touched on a different demographic of people (bullies, those that are abuse sufferers, those wanting to do whatever they can to help charities etc).

I liked how the author did her research about these storylines. It really felt that I was reading true life events, however shocking they were.

I liked how we were kept guessing until the last few chapters, just what did happen on trivia night.

What I didn't like about Big Little Lies...

I thought that the first 100 or so pages were rather slow. For epic fantasy that's okay because the world needs to be built but in a contemporary I think events should move along faster. 

I thought the story wrapped up a little too nicely. I would have liked to have seen more conflict. 

Overall, I really enjoyed Big Little Lies so that's why I'm giving it 4 stars. The only things that let me down were the pacing of the first 100 pages and the wrap up. I look forward to watching the TV series soon so I can compare them and choose which my favourite is. 


Stand by for my next review that will be coming in a few days :). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g