Skip to main content

The Bad Luck Bride (The Cavansham Heiresses Book 1) by Janna MacGregor Review

Hey ForeverBookers, 

I've just finished a great book called The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor. It was really cute but also made me think while I was reading. 

Thank you to NetGalley for granting me the opportunity to read The Bad Luck Bride. 

The Bad Luck Bride tells the story of Lady Claire Cavansham and Lord Alexander Hallworth, the Marquess of Pembrooke from when they meet each other and what happens after...

NOTE: This is an ADULT read due to sexual encounters. 

Spoilers below: This story is told from 3rd person perspective. We start by seeing Alexander, who's just lost his sister. He doesn't know who to blame but he's going to find who hurt her. 

He meets Claire at a ball. Claire is the Bad Luck Bride from the title. She's been engaged/married many times but it's never turned out well. She's engaged to Lord Paul, a minor character at the beginning of the novel but he calls it off cause of the rumours surrounding her and her curse. Then she meets Alexander. Alexander needs a wife so he asks her to marry him. He doesn't believe in all the nonsense of Claire being "cursed" as she's called lots in the story. They have a rocky relationship at first but they learn to care for one another. They learn that they have lots of things in common, like lost family members and the want for children eventually etc. 

Reading The Bad Luck Bride has made me see that not all relationships are perfect. Claire and Alexander certainly weren't at first but they made they're way to their perfect. 

What I liked about Bad Luck Bride:

- The characters...They all had their own flaws to get over to be happy. 

- How this story wrapped up in one book...This is a series but I believe it will follow different Cavansham women throughout. We might see from Claire's sister or daughter's perspective next/at some point.

- All of the cute remarks that Alexander made to Claire. I really thought these made the novel different as I don't often see this in the adult romance literature that I read.  

What I didn't like about Bad Luck Bride: 

- The long chapters...The chapters were written well but I just think that some sections could have been edited out or at least slimmed down to make the chapters and the book for concise and to the point. 

- The 3rd person perspective...it would have been interesting to read from both Claire and Alexander's perspective to actually experience and feel exactly what they were feeling. This is a novel that could have really benefitted from 1st person perspective, I think for at least Claire and maybe still third person POV for Alex.

- We never learn the date the story is meant to be set...We just know it's in history at some point. In a third person perspective story this could have been said, at least once. 

All in all then, I really enjoyed The Bad Luck Bride. It had everything I look for in a good book with just a few negatives as well. This is why I'm giving it 4 stars! 

I look forward to reading the sequel in November 2017 so stand by for my review of that.

 I should have a couple of reviews coming within the next week or so, speak then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g