Skip to main content

Shadow Of Night (The All Souls Trilogy Book 2) by Deborah Harkness Review

Hi ForeverBookers, how are you all faring today? 

I've just finished a great book! It was a reread but I loved it WAY more than the other times I've read it. It was Shadow Of Night by Deborah Harkness.

5 Stars! 

The book is broken into 6 parts. This means that as the reader I didn't get lost in what I was reading as I knew where each part was taking place. For some present day chapters, they're the last chapter in a section but you can clearly tell they're set in present day because of the characters/settings etc.

Trigger warning: Shadow Of Night has moments of loss and moments of violence. It's an adult book anyway, but if you've experienced miscarriage or violence then this might not be the book for you. The miscarriage is only touched lightly on. It's not a huge part of the plot.

Spoilers below...

It starts just where A Discovery Of Witches finished with Diana and Matthew time travelling into the past, 1590 to be exact. 
They've travelled back to basically hide in history and for Diana to find a witch to teach her how to use her magic but a lot more happens...they meet Matthew's friends - The School Of Night, they meet Matthew's father Philippe de Clairmont, they get married by 16th century standards, Diana learns she has a protective firedrake within her, Diana and Matthew conceive a child together only to loose it, they find the elusive Ashmole 782 before it was broken, they learn what Ashmole 782 actually is and so much more. 

Diana learns that she's a weaver too, which only a certain few witches are. 
There are betrayals in Shadow Of Night also. In the form of Kit Marlowe, part of the School Of Night, an emperor who wants Diana as his own and Queen Elizabeth, in a way. 

This book is much more dense than the first, which I really liked. The first book, A Discovery Of Witches will always be my forever favourite book because I love how Diana and Matthew fall in love but Shadow Of Night has a lot of historical aspects to it. I think 3 or 4 short chapters are set in present day with Ysabeau, or one of the other de Clairmonts/Bishops but apart from that, it's based solely in 1590/1591. I loved reading what my favourite characters got up to in historical England/France/Prague etc. We learn of a death of one of the main characters from the first book near the end of this book. It would have been nice to get more clarification of what happened to this character. I think we get it in book 3, if memory serves. The author to this series is a historian so the details are accurate as well, which is nice. 

There are obviously some fantastical bits thrown in with the historical facts, as our main characters are a witch and a vampire but this just added to the story in my eyes and made me want to keep reading. 

Shadow Of Night is told in first person mainly from Diana's point of view. I really enjoyed this because I'm a girl so I found it easy to step into her shoes. The present day chapters are told from 3rd person point of view.  

Who here has read this book? What did you think? 

I can't wait to reread The Book Of Life...stand by for my review of that, coming soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g