Skip to main content

Changeless (Alexia Tarabotti Book 2) by Gail Carriger Review

Hi ForeverBookers, 

I've just finished Changeless by Gail Carriger and it was very good. I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as I did Soulless but it was still an intriguing read. 

4.5 stars (5 on Goodreads)! 

NOTE: Changeless is again an ADULT book due to sexual situations.

Changeless continues from where Soulless ended. We see Lord Conall Macon leave to take care of the business of his old pack having no Alpha anymore in Scotland, leaving his wife Alexia to take care of business at home in Woolsey Castle. This is challenging for Alexia because she was, before marrying Conall, thought to be forever a spinster (someone who won't marry) so she's not used to taking charge of a man's livelihood. Conall didn't inform Alexia of some things before he left. One of those being that all the werewolves camp out on Woolsey grounds at certain times of year. Alexia manages to get her head around this only to find that her mother has dumped her sister on her and that Conall has made sure she visits a hat makers in London. Why, Alexia doesn't know at first. She brings her best friend Ivy (the one who LOVES hats) with her when she goes. 

At this hat makers, Alexia meets Madam Lefoux, a strange scientist type of woman, who dresses very masculine. When this novel was set, in the 1800's women dressed in dresses, not in a masculine way. They go with Ivy, Angelique, Alexia's servant, Alexia's sister and Tunstall, Conall's servant on an adventure to find Conall and help him get the Kingair pack, his old pack of wolves sorted. 

This adventure isn't at all plain sailing for any of the characters. Those travelling to Scotland take the dirigible (an old type of flying device) to Scotland. Here the characters experience some near death trials but they do end up in Scotland. 

As soon as the Dirigible leaves them Conall finds his wife. At first he questions why Alexia has come but when she tells him of how she was angry at being left in charge so rashly, he's not so perturbed and is happy to see her. 

They have to try and get themselves in Maccon Castle, which Lady Kingair doesn't want at first. She recognises Conall as her great-great grandfather (werewolves live many years) but she has no idea who the others accompanying him are. She relents when Conall tells her that Alexia is his wife and Ivy is her friend. Alexia notices how dank and dreary old Castle Kingair is compared to Woolsey Castle back in London. 

There is a betrayer in Castle Kingair, who keeps trying to steal Alexia's things. They also shot at both Madame Lefoux as well as Conall.

I really enjoyed the second half of Changeless. When 3 Egyptian mummy's are brought in to a room for an unwrapping party, things start to go a little bit haywire. Two of the mummies Alexia is okay about but the other makes her feel sick. This is because one of the mummies is in fact a preternatural, like Alexia. Preternatural's can't be around each other. I don't want to write any more about the mummies or why they're there, at castle Kingair as its best to figure that out for yourself...I was really surprised by what they do. 

Also it's revealed that Angelique was the betrayer. Alexia kills Angelique who does come back as a ghost to answer a few questions before Alexia exhumes her body meaning that she can go wherever as a ghost. 

There are other less important things that happen in Changeless as well, but I believe I've captured the most important ones above. 

There's something that leads Changeless onto Blameless (Book 3) as well. I don't feel there was this with Soulless. I'm excited to read more. 

I'm giving Changeless 4.5 stars because I found there were a few moments where not much happened. But there were moments filled with events as well. If it had been a little bit more evenly spaced out I might have given it 5 stars. Also how Alexia and Conall refer to each other as husband and wife all the time is a little annoying. It's like they don't really know each other after 6 months of marriage when we know that they do know each other intimately.

What are your thoughts on Changeless? Leave them in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g