Skip to main content

The Hollow (The Hollow Trilogy Book 1) by Jessica Verday Review.

Hi ForeverBookers, sorry it's taken me so long to write another review. This book has taken me longer than I thought to get through. 

This was a reread for me. I read it when I was 16/17 years old and it's certainly more for that age than a girl in her 20's. There were bits I liked about this book but I didn't love it. I just found the main character very whiney and self destructive to her own happiness to be honest. 

When I was 16/17 years old I can remember almost swooning for the lead male character but not so much now. 

The lead girl goes through a traumatic event before the start of the book and the rest basically revolves around that. 

The characters were good as well. I liked how only a small cast of characters were involved as it gave the book more of a focus on the Legend Of Sleepy Hollow. However some of the characters were very annoying although they were portrayed well. .

Another good point was the settings. I could really imagine myself in some of the places this book takes us to - the sleepy hollow graveyard for example. 

The romance was okay but it was very on and off again. The best bit of the book plot wise was probably the twist at the end. The twist was what made me really like this book. It gave me encouragement to continue reading the trilogy. 

I give this book 3 stars. While it was a little too YA in plot, it wasn't terrible in terms of story or emotions. The UK book cover (the one below), is wrong. The necklace on the US cover is the right colour. The ending was rather sad but with the next books this will hopefully improve. The Haunted is the next book in the trilogy and I look forward to starting that next...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g