Skip to main content

Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy book 3) by Richelle Mead Review

What a range of emotions this book put me through! 

This book again has a more New Adult feel than a younger YA feel. 

If you haven't read the first two books in this series (Vampire Academy and Frostbite) don't read the rest of this review until you have because of minor spoilers...

In Shadow Kiss we see Rose getting ready to go through the Field Experience of St Vladimir's Academy, where Guardian's in training become Guardians for 6 weeks to give them experience for how the job is. Rose thinks she'll be paired with Lissa, her best friend and thought to be real charge but she gets paired with someone unexpected. She fights this to begin with, like the Rose Hathaway from the previous books would but she comes to accept her role as someone else's guardian instead. 
The main characters go to the Moroi court to vouch that the lead villain from the first book, Victor Dashkov should go to jail for hurting Lissa and turning his daughter Strigoi. There at the court Rose and Lissa see a fortune teller like person. She tells Dimitri, who comes in looking for Rose and Lissa that he'll lose what's most important to him. Also here Rose experiences visions and pain like never before. It's revealed why in the book. 
One night (night and day are reversed at St Vladimir's as Moroi can't be out in the sun), there is a Strigoi invasion. This happens just after Rose and Dimitri (Rose's forbidden love) are together. I thought the juxtapositioning of emotions was true to how Rose or indeed anyone in this sort of situation would act. From one moment being completely blissed out, in love to being worried and scared for everyone you care about. I thought the author wrote those scenes well. Some of the Moroi and other Guardians are captured at this point. Rose uses her shadow kissed visions to see where the Strigoi are. Rose, Dimitri, Rose's mother, other teachers, and other Guardian's go to find what's happened to their friends and colleagues. 
When they get to the Strigoi hide out (Strigoi can't be in sunlight either) they go in. They face battles and fights and they do rescue some of their friends. Rose loses something that's very important to her though...she makes the decision to leave St Vladimir's against everyone's wishes to find what she's lost...what will she do if/when she finds it though?

I thought this book had lots of elements to it. More so than I've read in a long time. While I enjoyed them I thought that the story could have perhaps been more focused on one or two of the main elements leaving the overall book less scattered. I laughed in this book again though, and I experienced all of the dramatic and surprising turns this book had. I gave this book a 4.5/4.75 stars because of the scattered feeling I got. Otherwise it would have been a 5 star read. 

I look forward to reading Blood Promise next...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Night (Jacksonville Rays #0.5) by Emily Rath Review!

  Hi ForeverBookers,   I’ve just finished reading “Just One Night,” the prequel novella to “Pucking Around, (the Jacksonville Rays   # 1)” by Emily Rath and it was sooooo good!!! I didn’t know what it was really about before I started it. It’s a contemporary romance with lots of sex!!! Therefore, it’s not for younger readers, due to the language use too, but mainly the sexual content. There’s a quote at the end of this review to show just how sexy it gets and there’s LOADS of these moments, not just the one! (NOTE: this review contains both swearing and sexual content, although not too much)! The novella starts with Rachel, who is at a hotel because her twin brother, Harrison has just got married to his new husband. There isn’t any LGBTQ action in this novella, but I believe there’s a few threesomes in the novel, Pucking Around, not with Harrison or his husband but Rachel, Jake, the main guy from “That One Night,” and another character that isn’t revealed in the novella. I thin

A Court Of Silver Flames (ACOTAR #5) by Sarah J Maas Review

Hi ForeverBookers,  How have you all been since the beginning of 2024? I haven’t checked in much, I know, but I’ve still been reading! Last night, I finished “A Court of Silver Flames” (“ACOSF”),  by Sarah J Maas, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORED! It was so, so, so, so, SOOOOO good!!!  It tells the story of Nesta, rather than Feyre, the character which the other “ACOTAR” books have all focused on. I honestly didn’t think I would like it much because I’m a total Feyre and the man she ends up with fangirl and I REALLY didn’t like Nesta in the other books or what there was of her, anyway, but OMG was I WRONG! Never judge a book, until you’ve read it, is all I’ll say… “ACOSF” is told from 3rd person POV which I thought I’d hate, because I like being inside the main female character’s head and seeing and feeling exactly what she is. Nesta, while told from 3rd person POV though, has a huge breakthrough with the reader, I believe. She was a very hateful character in the first books, told fro

Satan’s Affair (0.5 Haunting Adeline) by HD Carlton Review

  Hi Forever Bookers,   How are you all? I hope you’re good! I’ve just finished “Satan’s Affair” by HD Carlton and I loved it! I buddy read it with a Facebook friend. She enjoyed it too.  We follow Sibby who features in “Haunting Adeline.” She’s abused by her father as a child, which we get flashbacks to in Satan’s Affair. Otherwise the novella details how she gets on in life as an adult (in her twenties). She murders for a living as well as having lots of sex with men from the carnival. She calls them her “henchmen.” The novella is heartbreaking at the end too.  I read Satan’s Affair for one readathon: Reading Rivalry - Horror - although Satan’s Affair isn’t horror in a lot of ways. There are lots of murders and torturous scenes that are described in detail. I class that as a form of horror! Trigger warning: There are LOTS of distressing scenes of torture and sexual abuse is brought up in Satan’s Affair, as well as generic sex scenes. Spoilers Below “One” Stab. A g